In true OMG-the-year-is-flying-by fashion, we’re heading right on in to Valentines Day. Now whether you’re big on Valentines Day or not… you have to admit that the fashions and makeup are kinda fun. Don’t put away your favorite holiday red lipsticks yet ladies; you’re still gonna need them. And I’m not really one for hot pinks, but I kinda love that you can wear them for VDAY and everyone just knows you’re just being festive. I am something of a
lipstick makeup hoarder so I have about 8 billion shades. So I’ve put together a handy dandy list of all of the best Valentines Day lipsticks for you here!!
For Christmas Josh always buys me like the gift set kits with a whole bunch of minis but in a lot of different shades and I don’t know why… but they’re my jam. I pretty much never use up a whole lipstick (probably because I’m always trying new ones) so the little ones work great for me and then I get to try all the different colors. What can I say… the man knows the way to my heart. Lipstick and when he helps fold the laundry. 😉
For many people, Valentines Day is about fancy gifts. And about ummm…. nine years ago my husband and I went through that phase too. And maybe I’m old and boring now, but it just isn’t about that to me anymore. Our first date was actually on Valentines Day (anyone wanna hear THAT story? Lemme know.) So it’s kinda become more of an anniversary than the typical holiday ’round here. The point is… we rarely skip celebrating Valentines Day. Some things in life are just worth celebrating, I say. And in this day and age… love is definitely one of them!
ALSO for many people, Valentines Day means kissing. Some lipsticks are better for kissing than others. So I’ve kept that in mind. 😉 Josh doesn’t absolutely haaaate when I wear a lippie that doesn’t completely dry down… but he won’t kiss me at all if he’s convinced he’ll look like Miranda Sings after a quick peck either. Noted.
So here are my picks for the best lipsticks to get you through all of your VDay smooches and beyond.
1. Too Faced Melted Matte | Lady Balls + Candy Cane – This formula dries down to completely kissable and is matte. But even for somebody with dry lips (hellooo Colorado) it’s not terribly uncomfortable. As far as liquid lipsticks go, this formula is one of my favs.
Lady Balls is the perfect blue toned red. Which are the only reds I like to wear because they make your teeth look whiter and #coffee. Candy Cane is my faaaaavvvvorite but it was a Limited Edition holiday color in 2016. You can still get your hands on one because #theinternet. BUT the Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Bachelorette is said to be a great dupe. They’re the perfect “is it pink or is it red” and kinda look different on everyone.
2. L’Oréal Infallible Pro Matte Gloss | Shanghai Scarlett, Aphrodite’s Kiss, + Blushing Ambition – OH EM GEE I love these. L’oréal is probably my favorite drugstore brand. But these are so so comfortable! They go on opaque like a liquid lip but they’re soft and smooth like a gloss. They’re almost “whipped” feeling. They eventually dry down. to a matte finish but it takes a good while. They don’t slide all over the place and don’t emphasis any dryness either.
I think I’ve got the whole Valentines Day color scheme covered with these three shades. Shanghai Scarlet is your true red, Aphrodite’s Kiss is your bright pinky red, and Blushing Ambition is your baby pink but somehow manages to not be obnoxious when you wear it. Love.
3. Nyx Lip Lingerie Liquid Lipstick | Lace Gloves– Like so many of my other selections (I’m realizing that I gravitate towards a certain product here…) it’s a liquid matte lips that dries down completely. As far as I know it’s only available in this holiday kit (on SUPER sale – legit like under $8 for THREE lipsticks.) This formula is definitely the cheapest on the list (under $7!!) and I totally love them. The shade range is interesting because ALL of the colors (25ish of ’em) have like a nude theme going. So if you prefer an understated lip… you might like this line.
Random side note but I also super love the applicator on these. They’re straight and stiff and for whatever reason I can always get a sharp line with it.
4. Buxom Wildly Whipped Lightweight Liquid Lipstick | Dominatrix + Lover – I mean, the name kinda says it all. It’s long enough to do so. These are so underrated! WHY don’t more people talk about these? They are super whipped and light feeling on the lips, and although they don’t dry down all the way they stay in place. They’re not super long lasting or anything, but I sort of expect that from a product that doesn’t dry. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.
Dominatrix is another true red but the light texture of these make a bit more “wearable” (I guess some would say) than say Too Faced’s Lady Balls. Lover is sort of that dusty rose color that everyone loves; wearable even if you don’t like a bold lip.
5. Urban Decay Vice Waterproof Long Lasting Liquid Lipstick | Backtalk + Crimson It’s no surprise to me that these are great. I love Urban Decay. (They’re half off on Ulta’s website RN!) That makes them cheaper than some of the drugstore options! They call them “comfort matte” and they are pretty light and comfortable! They also don’t wear off in a totally obnoxious manner either. Which is a plus. lol. They dry alllll the way down and are perfectly kissable. 😉
6. Colourpop Ultra Matte Liquid Lipstick | Lumiere 2 ANY makeup enthusiast doesn’t need to be sold on ColourPop lippies. They’re cheap, opaque, and come in a million fun colors. This one appears to be almost purple on my skin tone. But for whatever reason looks pinkier on everyone else. There’s another color “Arriba” that is totally already IN SHOPPING CART for my next order that would be awesome for Vday as well.
I am something of a lipstick junkie. I have a gazillion different kinds. This list was kind of fun to compile actually. 🙂 I hope it was useful to you. I love hearing about the products other people are digging and always want to try them out myself. Let me know your favs! And I wish you all the kisses for your Valentines Day (/ my 10 year anniversary. 😉 ) <3